While it barely went smoothly, the first week of the 2020-21 men’s college basketball season is on the books.
Gonzaga remains the nation’s best team after an unbeaten week, highlighted by a season opening win over Kansas, followed by Baylor, who also got through the opening verse 2-0. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois round out the top five after a few surprises elsewhere messed up the top of the rankings.
Villanova and Virginia both fell back into the rankings after unrest. The Wildcats allowed Virginia Tech to shoot 50 percent from a distance and watched their own long shots fall in an 81-73 loss to the Hokies over time. Keve Aluma led with 23 points and Nahiem Alleyne added 20 from the bench for Virginia Tech, who moved up to # 1 in the rankings. 16.
Villanova was in the lead at 12, less than nine minutes from time, but couldn’t seal the deal.
« When you have a head start and you’re playing against a good team, you have to play all possession until the end, » Villanova manager Jay Wright told reporters. « So we’re definitely going to learn this the hard way. «
San Francisco knocked out 13 threes and narrowed Virginia to three in a 61-60 surprise from the Cavaliers. After only 21 points in the first half, the Dons exploded after the break for 40 points and led by up to seven points. Sam Hauser missed a three-point shot for Virginia that would have allowed them to escape with a win.
« Look at it in the mirror and grow from it, » Virginia trainer Tony Bennett told reporters. « We have to harden ourselves somehow. We have to get gritty. We have to be tougher to score against ourselves and be the best version of ourselves. «
Three-point problems also came to Kentucky, where all 10 of his attempts were missed in a 76-64 surprise against Richmond. Four spiders went into double digits to give the program its first road win against a top 10 team.
Blake Francis and Nathan Cayo led the team with 18 points and led Richmond’s second half with 48 points.
« It’s so rare to play a team like Kentucky, » Richmond manager Chris Mooney told reporters. « It’s great for us to have the opportunity to play with a great team and we took that opportunity. It’s a huge win. Kentucky very rarely loses, they very rarely lose from the conference so this is a great win. «
The spiders slipped at No.. 1 in the top 25. 19, while Kentucky one place behind them at No.. 1 sits. 20th. The 10 point drop in the Wildcats is the second highest of the week after Virginia’s 11 point slide.
College Basketball, Villanova Wildcats Men’s Basketball, Gonzaga Bulldogs Men’s Basketball, Virginia Tech Hokies Men’s Basketball, Kentucky Wildcats Men’s Basketball, Associated Press
World News – USA – AP Men’s College Basketball 2020 Survey: Full Week 2 Ranking Published
. . Related title :
– Gonzaga, Baylor stay on AP Top 25; Va. Tech, Richmond in
– > College Basketball Ranking: Michigan State, Richmond Raises First Power 36 of 2020 Regular Season
– AP College Basketball Survey 2020 : Full Week 2 Leaderboard Released
– >> Cancel Every Top 25 Loss From Week 1 on
– College basketball rankings : Three Big Ten teams in the top 5 of the AP Top 25 poll behind Gonzaga, Baylor
– Gonzaga strengthens the hold on No.. 1 entry to the big week against No.. 11 West Virginia, No.. 2 Baylor
– college basketball rankings: Gonzaga and Baylor stay 1-2, with Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois rounding the top 5
– My AP Top 25 basketball ballot: Villanova loss makes way for Gonzaga on top
– College Basketball Notes: A Wild Start To The 2020-21 Season
– First week: Clayton Collier& # 39; s AP Top 25 men& # 39; s basketball ballot
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis
[maxbutton id= »1″]