Canelo Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 KOs) may not have a nine-figure deal with DAZN anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s done fighting on DAZN.
The Mexican boxing star announced Tuesday that he will face WBA middleweight champ Callum Smith (27-0, 19 KOs) on December 19 at TBD. Mike Cobinger of The Athletic claims Texas, which is currently running events with a limited number of fans, is a likely destination..
Alvarez was released from his contract on the Golden Boy about two weeks ago, making him a free promotional agent and a free network agent. His lucrative contract of 11 fights worth $ 365 million was with DAZN through the Golden Boy, so once that relationship was severed, that also resulted in the network’s partnership being canceled.. Canelo sued Golden Boy, Oscar De La Hoya, and DAZN for breach of contract and a host of other things related to his career status. He’s been at odds with both the Golden Boy and DAZN over finding liabilities as well as the COVID-19 pandemic adjusted wallet money settlement..
Funnily enough, Canelo vs.. Smith was an option for Alvarez this year but due to the pandemic, DAZN did not want to pay a whopping $ 40 million licensing fee for the Golden Boy to facilitate such an event.. Now that finances have changed (to what extent, we don’t know), Canelo’s first official fight as a free agent is on DAZN but is being promoted by Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing, which has its own battles to deal with the broadcast service.. This will also be a big launch for DAZN as it is heading globally with its platform, including in the UK.
For the fight itself, Smith won the WBA title by knocking out George Groves in the World Boxing Super Boxing Championship final. Kickboxing fans may also know that Smith won a decision about Nikki Holzkin, who fought Smith in a short time in the semifinals after Juergen Braimer withdrew due to injury. . His last outing came about a year ago the day he won a disputed decision regarding John Ryder at Liverpool. At 6’3 « , Smith is the longest opponent Canelo has ever faced.
Alvarez, who won a small middleweight knockout over Callum’s brother Liam Smith, exited Sergey Kovalev’s KO last year to win the WBO Light Heavyweight Championship. He has since breached the belt to return to Level 168, as his lone appearance saw him stop Rocky Fielding on his DAZN debut to win a WBA secondary belt. Callum is a huge upgrade in the opposition and while Alvarez remains a big candidate, this is a legitimate and interesting fight.
Based on Mike Cobinger’s report, Alvarez intends to remain disconnected as far as networks are concerned, so ideally he can fight on DAZN next month, FOX PPV in 2021, ESPN PPV the same year, etc.. . He enjoys more freedom and control over his career with more options regarding the quality of his opponents.
Canelo Álvarez, Callum Smith, World Boxing Association, DAZN, Eddie Hearn
World News – US – Canelo Alvarez v. Callum Smith official on December 19th on DAZN
. . Related Title :
– Next fight Canelo Alvarez: The Mexican star faces Callum Smith in a 168-pound unification match in December
– Canelo Alvarez vs.. Callum Smith official on December 19 on DAZN
– Canelo Alvarez Vs.. Callum Smith appointed in December. 19
– Canelo Alvarez to fight Callum Smith in the title match in December
– Saul & # 39; Canelo& # 39; Alvarez to fight Callum Smith on December 19
– Canelo Alvarez faces Callum Smith for the WPA middleweight title in December. 19
– Canelo Alvarez to fight Callum Smith on December 19 while The British have a huge showdown.
– Canelo Alvarez vs.. Callum Smith completed December 19, DAZN
– Boxing-Alvarez to fight Smith from WBA postponed the Superweight title on December 19
– Liverpool& # 39; Callum Smith revealed Saul’s next competitor & # 39; Canelo& # 39; Alvarez
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis
[maxbutton id= »1″]